Skip to main content

Who's Writing This Blog?

Hello there! My name is Kate Benedict. I'm a senior studying Writing and Multimedia Studies along with Creative Writing. In honesty, I have no idea what I want to do for a career. To lighten the pressure from others, I grabbed at the straw of video game narrative writing. I've been speaking with professionals in the industry, but my head is spinning from what is required of me to pursue that path. But, I would rather live my life with a fun job at the risk of my comfort than being secure and miserable forever. 

Along with my enjoyment of writing, I also like participating in geek culture. I love attending various conventions in all different states. For the conventions, I am very careful and detailed when choosing costumes. I tend to choose characters to whom I relate to. Referring to the picture below, I am dressed as the character Shinso Hirotoshi from the animated show My Hero Academia

Me (far left) and two friends attending Matsuricon Ohio 2022

With convention tickets costing lots of money and new Covid-19 related rules being put in place for attendees, it has been difficult to attend a convention in these past few years. That is why when Halloween or a performance related event happens at Ohio Northern, I am always ready with my costumes to go all out. One costume will be getting its encore this final year from its debut at Ohio Northern's annual Lip Sync Battle, where I took first place. The costume is of the character Dabi, also from the animated show My Hero Academia. I plan on wearing him during Halloween related festivities and all day on Halloween. 

My costume of Dabi from My Hero Academia

This blog, however, will not detail my hobbies. Rather, it will be about certain experiences at Ohio Northern that can be beneficial for students, either current or incoming. From housing, to dining, to staff and peer communication, I hope this blog can help students make the best choices for their wellbeing during their college experience. I wish all readers the best of luck as they find their path and purpose in their life.


"Whether you win or lose, looking back and learning from your experience is a part of life." 
-My Hero Academia








Comments

  1. Hi Kate, I feel this series of blogs will not only be helpful to freshmen, but will bring about a sense of reflection for seniors reading as well. I hope you will write about your experiences while attending the university as well.
    I feel readers will benefit from the knowledge of which professionals you have managed to contact and what you have learned from them. Since you talked to these individuals while attending school, it can give freshmen and incoming students a taste of what they could expect from contacting professionals in their field of study. I look forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Kate! I think this blog will be really helpful to all ONU students. Having experience is always a good thing, whatever that experience may be. With yours relating to your Ohio Northern experiences I am sure anybody can find something useful here. One thing that I think with definitely help you is your perspectives on wellbeing and hobbies. Your hobby of cosplaying is (from what I've heard about it) super rewarding and takes devotion to the fun in life. I think people can learn from that. I hope to see you continue to succeed and have fun while doing to. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Pond

The pond as seen from the back of the Freed Center Behind the Freed Center there is a pond. For some odd reason, it is also referred to as a lake. I wonder if those that call it a lake have ever seen an actual lake before. The pond is not just a body of water for show. The pond gives a home to animals as well. Ducks, geese, swans, and surprisingly some fish are able to make homes. The birds are only comfortable in the area in the warm weather, so you may pass quicker than usual and step anywhere on the sidewalk without your shoes bringing along anything smelly and unpleasant. Until then, keep an eye on the ground. Not only are the animals in danger from the cold weather, the poor judgement of the Ada community can kill them. It’s obvious that feeding the animals who live at the pond is dangerous for both the human and the animal. It does not matter what food you Google or already know is safe for them to eat. Animals need to keep up their strength naturally. It’s no wonder that the gee

Housing: Stadium View West Apartments

The front of the Stadium View West apartments. Receiving enough academic credits gives a student the right to choose to live in an apartment, still on campus of course. With Lakeview apartments being somewhat difficult to sign up for, you might settle for Stadium View. Based on personal experience, here are some factors to consider when making your housing choice.  1. The Smell When entering the apartment building, new noses might catch an unpleasant whiff. Stepping into a room, however, smells like my most hungry dog farted for a week straight. To help, place an air freshener or exercise dulling your sense of smell.  2. The Apartment Food Plan Unlike the dorms, students who live in the apartments are not required to purchase a meal plan. Instead, students are automatically given 400 dining dollars. With these, students can purchase food from anywhere on campus. Students can still add a meal plan with the 400 dining dollars, but the meal plans still cost the same price when put on your