Skip to main content

Differences In Social Media Usage

In chapter one of Essentials of Social Media and Marketing, there are statistics of how often smartphones and social media are used by the current generation of readers. The textbook also claims that these targeted readers are ignorant to being without smartphones and social media. On section one the textbook states, "If you are a part of Generation Z, you have likely grown up using the internet and social media and can't remember life without it." I found their claims baffling based on my upbringing. 

The first somewhat personal phone I was given was in middle school, a flip phone that had a single function of calling my mother and father. The first smartphone I was given was an iPod Touch 4 starting my first year in high school. The functions on the phone were controlled by my parents. On said phone, I only had music, contacts, calling, texting, and Tetris for a game. My high school provided laptop computers, which I only saw as an extra form of homework.

An iPod Touch 4, the first smartphone I was given


During my time in high school, I was so confused on how all of my peers were always looking at their bigger and brighter phones before and even during class. Not understanding the addictions, I looked at my peers as pathetic for wasting their lives looking at a screen.
 
As a high school graduation present, my parents gave me my very first smartphone. This was the iPhone 6. I was also granted almost total control over what I could have on my phone. I was not foreign to social media platforms. My mother used Facebook and my father used LinkedIn. But as I connected with my friends, they encouraged me to look into getting on a social media platform. I chose TikTok after seeing that some users made videos of themselves enjoying hobbies that I shared. Throughout my two years on the platform, my mind was always wanting to check TikTok for how much attention my videos were getting. After the platform became a place of politics and hate, I left, transferring most of my videos to a small private Instagram account for TikTok friends to enjoy. 

The energy I had from scrolling on TikTok suddenly had nowhere to go but to be productive when choosing a higher education. As of now I rarely use my Instagram account. I am more so on LinkedIn and Twitter, both I only use to connect with professionals and companies that relate to my career interests.

I am curious on how my social media experience and usage compares to my peers' at this age. I would imagine being active on more than one social media platform would be exhausting and detrimental. If so many people are active on social media, I wonder what the world would be like without it. 

Comments

  1. This is a very interesting experience as it is against the norm of most college students. I also wonder what the world would be like without social media and if it would be better or worse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never thought of my life and the relation to social media until I read the first quote in this blog. I remember life without social media and realize just how much social media has changed my personal life. For most young kids, they now never feel a fear of disconnecting with a close friend as they are always accessible due to social media. Snapchat and TikTok makes it easy for students to stay in touch and share their everyday lives with each other. I also understand the detrimental sides of social media as many peers of mine somedays feel very unproductive. Overall, I think a healthy balance of social media can help people more than it can hurt. However, it is very hard to find that balance, especially for most young people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that social media has been the entire generation Z and is part of their identity. I was raised by a family that didn't allow this to happen to me personally. I am very thankful for that because social media is very helpful but there are also so many negative sides. I have never used social media more than I have in college. This is something I need to lessen but it a part of our every day lives.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Pond

The pond as seen from the back of the Freed Center Behind the Freed Center there is a pond. For some odd reason, it is also referred to as a lake. I wonder if those that call it a lake have ever seen an actual lake before. The pond is not just a body of water for show. The pond gives a home to animals as well. Ducks, geese, swans, and surprisingly some fish are able to make homes. The birds are only comfortable in the area in the warm weather, so you may pass quicker than usual and step anywhere on the sidewalk without your shoes bringing along anything smelly and unpleasant. Until then, keep an eye on the ground. Not only are the animals in danger from the cold weather, the poor judgement of the Ada community can kill them. It’s obvious that feeding the animals who live at the pond is dangerous for both the human and the animal. It does not matter what food you Google or already know is safe for them to eat. Animals need to keep up their strength naturally. It’s no wonder that the gee

Who's Writing This Blog?

Hello there! My name is Kate Benedict. I'm a senior studying Writing and Multimedia Studies along with Creative Writing. In honesty, I have no idea what I want to do for a career. To lighten the pressure from others, I grabbed at the straw of video game narrative writing. I've been speaking with professionals in the industry, but my head is spinning from what is required of me to pursue that path. But, I would rather live my life with a fun job at the risk of my comfort than being secure and miserable forever.  Along with my enjoyment of writing, I also like participating in geek culture. I love attending various conventions in all different states. For the conventions, I am very careful and detailed when choosing costumes. I tend to choose characters to whom I relate to. Referring to the picture below, I am dressed as the character Shinso Hirotoshi from the animated show My Hero Academia .  Me (far left) and two friends attending Matsuricon Ohio 2022 With convention tickets co

Housing: Stadium View West Apartments

The front of the Stadium View West apartments. Receiving enough academic credits gives a student the right to choose to live in an apartment, still on campus of course. With Lakeview apartments being somewhat difficult to sign up for, you might settle for Stadium View. Based on personal experience, here are some factors to consider when making your housing choice.  1. The Smell When entering the apartment building, new noses might catch an unpleasant whiff. Stepping into a room, however, smells like my most hungry dog farted for a week straight. To help, place an air freshener or exercise dulling your sense of smell.  2. The Apartment Food Plan Unlike the dorms, students who live in the apartments are not required to purchase a meal plan. Instead, students are automatically given 400 dining dollars. With these, students can purchase food from anywhere on campus. Students can still add a meal plan with the 400 dining dollars, but the meal plans still cost the same price when put on your