Skip to main content

The Library

The Heterick Memorial Library

Ohio Northern University’s Heterick Memorial Library is located in the middle campus in between the Macintosh building and the Chapel. Since this library serves a college community, its three floors offer more than just reading and checking out books. From the first to the third floor, I will take you through what the library has to offer to help students succeed. Feel free to comment below if I missed anything.

The first floor of the library has the most social aspect. The Northern Lights Café, or as I like to call it “Mini Starbucks” allows you to get cozy while studying. This floor has the most booths, so it is perfect for group projects or study sessions with friends. This floor also has a computer lab along with a row of other computers on the right side of the room. Although the computers are the type that we had used in middle school, they can help if your personal computer is having some technical difficulties. Your three printers are on this floor. There are two black and white printers and one color printer. A private study room is also on this floor. It is somewhat bigger than the other private study rooms throughout the library. All private studying rooms must be reserved through the library website with a specific date and time. You can reach out to library staff members for questions about the scheduling process. A final piece of information is that the bathrooms are on this floor as well.

The second floor of the library is more similar to a normal library with a noise request of a whisper. There are a few resources located there as well. Straight ahead in Room 209 is Ohio Northern University’s Writing Center. The Writing Center is a tutoring service for students who need help perfecting their writing assignments. You can contact the Writing Center through the email address writing-help@onu.edu. The second floor also has more private studying rooms that are smaller and secluded.

The third floor is where you should go if you prefer to study somewhere other than your room that is absolutely silent. Even phones need to be turned to their silent features. There are more private study rooms as well. However, as a somewhat personal request, please refrain from studying in groups in the private rooms. They are not soundproof rooms. If you see a female student glaring at you, that is probably me. I bought noise cancelling headphones, but they can not block out a group of girls giggling with their coffees in tow. Please in the name of all things holy, stop making me want to dump your own drinks onto you. 

With the airing of my grievances over, this has been a run down of the library's other features. Again, if I missed anything interesting feel free to share. Perhaps there are some discoveries I have not even made.

Comments

  1. I think you pointed out all the features wonderfully. The library definitely has more features than the majority of people think about when going there. I enjoy the 2nd floor the most because the complete silence of the 3rd floor weirdly distracts me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you said everything about the library as well. ONU library is totally different from that of my university. You cannot bring any food and drinks with you and also there is no space to have a group project in the library. Honestly, I prefer the ONU library because I can choose a floor and space depending on my needs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved all the information on the library! I am someone who loves the second floor you still get to talk a little but still work hard! I also love the private rooms these are something I really benefit from.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The library here is one of the better features of campus and I think you pointed that out really well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for this rundown! I usually have my set things I want to go do in the library, so I often overlook the extras and nuanced parts of what is offered. I see so many people go to the engineering building for study rooms, I wish people used the library ones more. If I go to the 3rd floor I'll make sure bother you with a coffee in my hand (;

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Pond

The pond as seen from the back of the Freed Center Behind the Freed Center there is a pond. For some odd reason, it is also referred to as a lake. I wonder if those that call it a lake have ever seen an actual lake before. The pond is not just a body of water for show. The pond gives a home to animals as well. Ducks, geese, swans, and surprisingly some fish are able to make homes. The birds are only comfortable in the area in the warm weather, so you may pass quicker than usual and step anywhere on the sidewalk without your shoes bringing along anything smelly and unpleasant. Until then, keep an eye on the ground. Not only are the animals in danger from the cold weather, the poor judgement of the Ada community can kill them. It’s obvious that feeding the animals who live at the pond is dangerous for both the human and the animal. It does not matter what food you Google or already know is safe for them to eat. Animals need to keep up their strength naturally. It’s no wonder that the gee

Who's Writing This Blog?

Hello there! My name is Kate Benedict. I'm a senior studying Writing and Multimedia Studies along with Creative Writing. In honesty, I have no idea what I want to do for a career. To lighten the pressure from others, I grabbed at the straw of video game narrative writing. I've been speaking with professionals in the industry, but my head is spinning from what is required of me to pursue that path. But, I would rather live my life with a fun job at the risk of my comfort than being secure and miserable forever.  Along with my enjoyment of writing, I also like participating in geek culture. I love attending various conventions in all different states. For the conventions, I am very careful and detailed when choosing costumes. I tend to choose characters to whom I relate to. Referring to the picture below, I am dressed as the character Shinso Hirotoshi from the animated show My Hero Academia .  Me (far left) and two friends attending Matsuricon Ohio 2022 With convention tickets co

Housing: Stadium View West Apartments

The front of the Stadium View West apartments. Receiving enough academic credits gives a student the right to choose to live in an apartment, still on campus of course. With Lakeview apartments being somewhat difficult to sign up for, you might settle for Stadium View. Based on personal experience, here are some factors to consider when making your housing choice.  1. The Smell When entering the apartment building, new noses might catch an unpleasant whiff. Stepping into a room, however, smells like my most hungry dog farted for a week straight. To help, place an air freshener or exercise dulling your sense of smell.  2. The Apartment Food Plan Unlike the dorms, students who live in the apartments are not required to purchase a meal plan. Instead, students are automatically given 400 dining dollars. With these, students can purchase food from anywhere on campus. Students can still add a meal plan with the 400 dining dollars, but the meal plans still cost the same price when put on your