Skip to main content

Flaws in a Recent ONU Email About Duo

In one of my posts I discussed Duo authentication. In the post I mentioned that there are inconveniences in this method of cyber security. The sentiment regarding Duo is fairly agreed upon. Many people have questioned if there are alternative methods to keep Ohio Northern University accounts safe.

That is why I would like to discuss an email sent by a member of ONU’s Student Senate on November 9th at 11:09am. I believe this email is a wonderful example of poor thought and execution when sending an email about a sensitive topic.

The subject line of the email is "Are You Tired of Using Your Phone to Log in to Duo??" I could see how the student may be trying to convey relatability and get attention. The word "tired" and adding two question marks is odd. Is this email truly going to be a professional suggestion? I do not believe concerned students are simply "tired" of using Duo. 

The student sending the email states the reason for Duo that I was hesitant on mentioning. “While we understand that many people are frustrated by it [Duo], it is necessary to prevent the university's insurance premiums from drastically increasing.” They admit that it was not out of concern for student and staff’s safety, but to save money. I could not help but laugh. That is certainly not the icing on the cake though.

The student goes on to promote an alternate way to log in to Duo. “We’d like to let you know of a promotion that is ongoing that allows you to use a hardware authenticator to log in to Duo instead. To receive this promotion, all you need to do is create an account with Cloudflare then follow the steps to claim your discount code. The code may take a few days to be sent to you, so be patient. It will reduce the cost to $10 for the USB-A version and $12 for the USB-C version. After you receive your device, you can set it up as you would add any other device through Duo. From then on, all you need to do is plug it in to your device (or tap it to your phone, if your phone and browser support it) and it will automatically log you in.”

To remind you, the complaints about Duo circle around inconvenience for academic success. I am confused on how this method is any better. College costs enough money and time. The message that I am getting from this email is “If you hate Duo so much go pay for this other method to use the same program.”

That is how I personally am interpreting the email and do not believe the student who sent it had any ill intent. Rather, we can learn from this proposed alternative and the email conveying it as what not to do. If this email absolutely had to be sent these are some suggestions that I would give the student.

-          Take accountability and be honest when stating the flaws. “For these people” sounds like a blame.

-          State the steps of Cloudflare in the email. This will help the students judge the alternative before clicking on an unknown link.

-          Do not add “So be patient.” This also sounds like a blame.

-          Refrain from the word “it” as much as possible.

I believe it was good decision to let the ONU community know the truth on why Duo has been put in place. It is nice to know that the cyber security program’s purpose is to save money and not to improve the safety of the ONU community.

Comments

  1. This is hilarious to read. I saw them email and immediately disregarded it when it said "buy this thing to do the exact same thing you were doing but with more steps." But I never thought this much about it and your points make it so much better. I know the senate member was trying their best, but it fell short and may have just increased student's irritation with the system's implementation further.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Pond

The pond as seen from the back of the Freed Center Behind the Freed Center there is a pond. For some odd reason, it is also referred to as a lake. I wonder if those that call it a lake have ever seen an actual lake before. The pond is not just a body of water for show. The pond gives a home to animals as well. Ducks, geese, swans, and surprisingly some fish are able to make homes. The birds are only comfortable in the area in the warm weather, so you may pass quicker than usual and step anywhere on the sidewalk without your shoes bringing along anything smelly and unpleasant. Until then, keep an eye on the ground. Not only are the animals in danger from the cold weather, the poor judgement of the Ada community can kill them. It’s obvious that feeding the animals who live at the pond is dangerous for both the human and the animal. It does not matter what food you Google or already know is safe for them to eat. Animals need to keep up their strength naturally. It’s no wonder that the gee

Who's Writing This Blog?

Hello there! My name is Kate Benedict. I'm a senior studying Writing and Multimedia Studies along with Creative Writing. In honesty, I have no idea what I want to do for a career. To lighten the pressure from others, I grabbed at the straw of video game narrative writing. I've been speaking with professionals in the industry, but my head is spinning from what is required of me to pursue that path. But, I would rather live my life with a fun job at the risk of my comfort than being secure and miserable forever.  Along with my enjoyment of writing, I also like participating in geek culture. I love attending various conventions in all different states. For the conventions, I am very careful and detailed when choosing costumes. I tend to choose characters to whom I relate to. Referring to the picture below, I am dressed as the character Shinso Hirotoshi from the animated show My Hero Academia .  Me (far left) and two friends attending Matsuricon Ohio 2022 With convention tickets co

Housing: Stadium View West Apartments

The front of the Stadium View West apartments. Receiving enough academic credits gives a student the right to choose to live in an apartment, still on campus of course. With Lakeview apartments being somewhat difficult to sign up for, you might settle for Stadium View. Based on personal experience, here are some factors to consider when making your housing choice.  1. The Smell When entering the apartment building, new noses might catch an unpleasant whiff. Stepping into a room, however, smells like my most hungry dog farted for a week straight. To help, place an air freshener or exercise dulling your sense of smell.  2. The Apartment Food Plan Unlike the dorms, students who live in the apartments are not required to purchase a meal plan. Instead, students are automatically given 400 dining dollars. With these, students can purchase food from anywhere on campus. Students can still add a meal plan with the 400 dining dollars, but the meal plans still cost the same price when put on your