Skip to main content

A New Challenger Approaches: The Final Days of the Semester

The final days of this semester are approaching. This translates to final exams are on the way. The library is crowded these days. As someone who struggles with assignment deadlines the work I do on dead week and finals week I am in no way slowing down. Dead week has been anything but a dead week.

I have been finding new ways to keeping myself focused. I enjoy tuning out and listening to music. To compromise I am listening to music while studying or writing final papers. The songs I listen to have to be mostly music only or in a different language. If they are not I might start writing the lyrics to the song instead of what I need for my paper.

Another way I motivate myself to study and write my final papers is to hold off on watching the television shows or movies I want to see. For example, in a television show “Sonic X” the description of the next few episodes are that they are going to introduce my favorite character in all of the Sonic franchise, Shadow the Hedgehog. Not being able to see how the story tells his origin story hurts but it also forces me to tune my brain to something else.

Planning out when the various assignments are due and what classes are of most importance helps me manage my stress. In a notebook I write out every assignment, paper and exam I have and their due dates. With that information I determine what to work on first based on their dates and what classes are most important to maintain a passing grade in. After organizing everything I have to do I write them in order of what to work on first to last on a big white board I have on my desk in my room. This helps reduce my stress instead of shutting down from being overwhelmed.

 

A notebook ordering my assignments

 

Comments

  1. I struggle with stress many times during the end of semesters. Generally I try to do stuff like take deep breaths and play video games, but you thought of things I had never considered. The music in a different language for example. I don't listen to lyrics for that reason, but Lo-fi can sometimes be too calming for me. I'll have to try this out before finals.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Pond

The pond as seen from the back of the Freed Center Behind the Freed Center there is a pond. For some odd reason, it is also referred to as a lake. I wonder if those that call it a lake have ever seen an actual lake before. The pond is not just a body of water for show. The pond gives a home to animals as well. Ducks, geese, swans, and surprisingly some fish are able to make homes. The birds are only comfortable in the area in the warm weather, so you may pass quicker than usual and step anywhere on the sidewalk without your shoes bringing along anything smelly and unpleasant. Until then, keep an eye on the ground. Not only are the animals in danger from the cold weather, the poor judgement of the Ada community can kill them. It’s obvious that feeding the animals who live at the pond is dangerous for both the human and the animal. It does not matter what food you Google or already know is safe for them to eat. Animals need to keep up their strength naturally. It’s no wonder that the gee

Who's Writing This Blog?

Hello there! My name is Kate Benedict. I'm a senior studying Writing and Multimedia Studies along with Creative Writing. In honesty, I have no idea what I want to do for a career. To lighten the pressure from others, I grabbed at the straw of video game narrative writing. I've been speaking with professionals in the industry, but my head is spinning from what is required of me to pursue that path. But, I would rather live my life with a fun job at the risk of my comfort than being secure and miserable forever.  Along with my enjoyment of writing, I also like participating in geek culture. I love attending various conventions in all different states. For the conventions, I am very careful and detailed when choosing costumes. I tend to choose characters to whom I relate to. Referring to the picture below, I am dressed as the character Shinso Hirotoshi from the animated show My Hero Academia .  Me (far left) and two friends attending Matsuricon Ohio 2022 With convention tickets co

Housing: Stadium View West Apartments

The front of the Stadium View West apartments. Receiving enough academic credits gives a student the right to choose to live in an apartment, still on campus of course. With Lakeview apartments being somewhat difficult to sign up for, you might settle for Stadium View. Based on personal experience, here are some factors to consider when making your housing choice.  1. The Smell When entering the apartment building, new noses might catch an unpleasant whiff. Stepping into a room, however, smells like my most hungry dog farted for a week straight. To help, place an air freshener or exercise dulling your sense of smell.  2. The Apartment Food Plan Unlike the dorms, students who live in the apartments are not required to purchase a meal plan. Instead, students are automatically given 400 dining dollars. With these, students can purchase food from anywhere on campus. Students can still add a meal plan with the 400 dining dollars, but the meal plans still cost the same price when put on your